Prodrive’s boss Richard Taylor has dismissed media reports and rumours suggesting the company’s long-term deal with Mini to run its World Rally Championship campaign will shortly be canned. There had been reports in the media that BMW Motorsport wanted to end its contract with Prodrive following an acrimonious period which had left both sides bickering over the funding for the factory John Cooper Works WRCs.
According to Autosport.com, Taylor said its business as usual at the UK-based team, which is currently on route to Sweden to begin testing in readiness for the second round of the WRC season next week (February 9-12).
He said: “There’s no question of that, no question at all. The team is on its way to Sweden for the pre-event test as we speak. Mini remains committed to the programme and to supporting customers. We all want to see the Mini John Cooper Works WRC out there on the stages and that’s what we will see with Prodrive running the cars on Rally Sweden next week.”
“The start we had in Monte Carlo was fantastic,” he said, “and we look forward to continuing that level of performance next week and into the season beyond.”